Sunday, February 13, 2011

how to beat a heatwave! (with lots of exclamation points!)

Summer came a little (lot) late this year, which to be honest I haven't been sad about at all. Summers that I don't spend up in Byron Bay with my family I generally spend wishing I was up there and complaining about the dry hot hotness I still haven't gotten used to after 8ish years! But just before we went back to school those Adelaide 40 degree + days hit. My solution - make more ice cream!!!
If you've read my previous adventures with ice cream making this is no easy task getting it to freeze on such a hot day before the little motor burns out but my little trick of freezing for an hour before pouring into the machine seems to work! Take that heat - you can't stop me!!





So i'm not sure about the whole blogging land and it's rules and if it's cool to blog about someone else's recipe from their blog (within a blog within a blog), so all i'll say is my first concoction was a Peach and Basil Sorbet that I found on this amazing site....
cannelle-vanille.blogspot.com and it is amazing!!! glorious!!! astounding!!!! the peach and basil work together so well, and taste so, so fresh. MAKE THIS NOW!


I needed a few days to just bask in the glory of the peach before continuing on my flavour journey, but I had a couple of punnets of super ripe strawberries from my central market sat mornings with the lovely kate sarah rose (and recently made a threesome with the awesome nogol!) so it was time to try a flavour that I've been dying to try for ages, Strawberry and Balsamic ice cream! Major success of yum!





I made this one really simply, I soaked the strawberries in balsamic vinegar and icing sugar for a few hours then drained a little of the vinegar and gave the little babies a good blend. I then simply whipped some cream, folded the strawberry mix through, chill chill then into the ice cream machine. I must say though it's quicker it's no where near as good as making the custard base and I find the cream leaves a coating in my mouth after eating, but flavour wise SOOOOOOOOO good! The tang of the vinegar is so good with the sweet fruit, my mouth is watering just writing about it!! It's now become my Thursday night grey's anatomy companion!



I'm not going to lie to you, I licked this baby clean!




.........and I have also now joined a gym. yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment